Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Culture Shock. I'm hoping it does not last too long. Wednesday April 4, 2012

In class on Monday, we talked about culture shock and what it means... I was honestly freaked out a little bit. But as I listened, I was very relieved to find out that there are coping mechanisms that will make culture shock less traumatic.

The first thing we talked about was the whole "honeymoon phase". As I thought about it, I admitted to myself that I think I was already in that stage. For some reason, every time I picture myself in India, I picture myself running through lush forests and drinking mango juice. OBVIOUSLY I don't think that will actually happen, but I do think about India being more idyllic than I have learned it to be. I think that when I get there I will be seriously surprised. However, I think that the honeymoon phase is a little bit necessary because it will help balance out the stark feelings of reality a little bit. I think that India will be a wonderful place, as difficult as it may be to try to adjust there, I think that it would be good to remember that this really is a great place, and that I am fortunate to have the opportunity to be there.

We discussed some of the negative things that we will probably feel and experience. For example, not being able to communicate, whether in the language or with feelings. Becoming hostile towards others, and easily irritated, are also feelings that we might experience. Fortunately, there tends to be a gradual adjustment to the environment and the surroundings. This is where I stopped worrying so much, and started to think of ways that I could make this transition smoother. There was one word that was written on the board that stood out to me, and helped illustrate how I could turn Culture shock into a positive thing and how I could eventually adjust.

The word was: WILLINGNESS. I think this is a powerful word, and it has a lot to do with our individual agency. I thought it was ironic that I was learning about the willingness to accept change, the willingness to recognize that things were different but that they were also going to be Okay, and the willingness to understand that it was okay to be uncomfortable; because that same day, I was in my Tamil class and I was so uncomfortable when Venkat called on me and I didn't know how to say what he was asking me to say. I was so frustrated with myself and that I couldn't say what I needed to say. It all of the sudden dawned on me that I just had to have the willingness to be patient, that I had to be willing to make mistakes. Willingness is something that I will rely on a lot, while I try to adjust in the field.

With the willingness to be able to accept things that are different, the willingness to be flexible, and to accept my current situation, I know that all will be okay in the field, and hard things will turn into manageable things, and eventually pleasant things.

I also find comfort in the fact that this will not be my first time entering a foreign community. I remember how difficult it was to adjust to American culture. To not be able to speak the language, to try to fit in with the kids in school, etc. I have been here fifteen years now, and I am a normal student, living life as an American. Although my entrance into the field will be less startling than my entrance in the USA, reflecting on the experience, reassures me that I can do something difficult, and I know that I will be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment