Tuesday, January 17, 2012

25 questions- Tuesday January 17, 2012

In our culture prep course, they want us to write 25 questions that we have about the field study that we will be participating in. I have already done this exercise and it was so useful because I came up with a lot of questions, but as time has passed and India gets closer, I have a completely different set of questions.
1. What kind of things will I do when I visit the NGO?
2. Will we have a set schedule every day?
3. What kinds of things will we do on sundays?
4. When will I actually start interviewing women for my research?
5. What kinds of things will I say and not say regarding culture?
6. If I don't like curry (which I don't), will I be able to say that? I don't want to offend anybody
7. Will I be allowed to hang out with the kids and play with them?
8. How will I be able to find a translator?
9. When will we be able to make time to talk to our families and email them?
10. Will we always be in a group, or are we expected to do our thing everyday?
11. How safe is it to travel by bus when from the village to the Shanti?
12. Will I be allowed to bring personal items like lotion and Shampoo and a straightener? (seems like a weird question, but I really do wonder about it!)
13. How could I express my feelings to the Indian people whom I will be around without offending them?
14. Will I be able to tell the people around me about the gospel without offending them, if they ask?
15. What kinds of illnesses will I be exposed to?
16. Will I be able to participate in religious ceremonies with the people I am around?
17. What will happen if I want to participate in other activities that women don't really participate in (like playing cricket)?
18. Will it be possible and safe to visit another area of India towards the end of my Field Study? (I want to go to the Golden Temple in Punjab)
19. Will we learn about what to do if us girls ever experience eves teasing?
20. Will there be a curfew for when we should be home?
21. Will I be able to keep to my personal sleeping habits or would it be better if I participated in whatever the host family was participating in?
22. Will a facilitator be around or someone who is associated with BYU be around us?
23. Will the interviews that I will be holding be something that the people will accept or reject?
24. Will I be seen as a student who is doing research, or as another female tourist that is just there?
25. Will I be allowed to visit schools to see what they are like? or will that be too distracting for the kids?

These are just some of the first things that came to my mind. I hope that as time goes by preparing for this great experience, I will be able to know the answers a little better, and I will be able to generate more specific questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment