Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Annotated Source #1 Tuesday, January 24, 2012

National Geographic
I recently read an article that talked about empowering women around the world and the several efforts that went into that. The article mentioned a specific organization named UNFPA, the United Nations Population Fund. This organization keeps track of growing populations and child rates around the world. According to the article, the younger women get married, their daughters will do the same, which will lead to an increased number of girls, since in developing countries, many of the girls drop out of school in order to get married. Something interesting about this article is that it mentioned the empowerment of women through education. However, it also made mention of urbanization as a very positive aspect of development, which I disagree with.
When it comes to my personal project though, I thought this was great because I am interested in looking at the perceptions that the women have in the rural village in Coimbatore. I wonder how they feel about education in their lives and more importantly, in their children's, specifically their daughters. There was a quote that I really liked from the article that said "if you educate a girl, you educate a nation". I thought that this was fascinating because I have read research before that has shown the importance of education in women's lives in developing countries. It empowers them to teach their children, which will also most likely receive an education. I will be careful not to impose my opinion on education too much though, once I am in India. I love education, and I personally think it is vital in the development of a human being. However, I know that education is also a culture value and I want to be sensitive to the values and feelings of the women I will be interacting with in Tamil Nadu.

No comments:

Post a Comment