Friday, January 13, 2012

What is CULTURE?

In the last class, we learned about the meaning of culture and how it is different for everyone. In my opinion, culture is what defines a group of people in a specific region; it defines their values, how they view the world around them and it accompanied by a specific language, dress, and sometimes common religion. Of course, as more details are added, the definition of culture becomes more complex...which gets a little confusing. Still, in my mind, culture is a set of values for a group of people. I think about how people can have more than one kind of culture. I think of me for example, I am hispanic. Consequently, I share the culture of most Latins, namely the food, we all love dancing, and we speak Spanish. However, I am also a Latter-day Saint, so I also share Mormon culture. I think that it will be like that when I go to India.
In class, when we talked about the symbols that mean one thing in one culture but not the same to others, I thought about my experiences when I first came to the United States. I moved here when I was 8, from Colombia. My mom has always taught me that when I meet someone, especially an adult, I should be polite and give him/her a kiss on the cheek. Well, that didn't go so well when we moved to the states. People started flinching as I moved in towards their cheek with my lips puckered. I learned the hard way, that the kiss on the cheek was not the same here. It didn't take long before I never did that to another American again, and it has been just fine. I learned that just as much as I loved my culture and wanted to be respected, I should also respect American culture, and not impose mine on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment