Thursday, March 15, 2012

Entering the Community Friday, March 16, 2012

On Wednesday, we talked about entering the community that we will be staying with. I think about this all the time, perhaps more than anything else in my present life right now. I think about how this will happen, especially my first week there.
As Margaret read us her experience, I liked that she mentioned the difference between what is being written and what is actually happening. I have a feeling that what my family and friends are going to read from my experience will slightly differ from what I will actually be living. I loved that she mentioned "I tried not to panic" because I have a feeling that I will be doing that a lot, trying not to panic is great advice.

One of the questions that were asked of us was: "is the Field suitable for your intended project?" As I thought about this, I knew that I wanted to do some sort of project that was connected with International Development. As I thought further, I knew that I wanted to do something with women. I also remember one of the most important things that I learned from my Intro to International Development class, was that of asking the locals what they need and how they are feeling. While in India, I will be working on a personal project, but I will also be building relationships with those around me, which I think is the most important thing I can do. Consequently, I think that the village of Chavadi Pudur will be an ideal location for me to learn about the women there, and especially to spend enough time around them to gain mutual trust and be able to understand them a little better.

Another aspect of the location that I think is perfect for my project is the fact that there is an NGO in the city. The NGO has a program called "Women's Development Program" and through this program, I will be able to participate with the women in the activities that they do, and learn about them thorough talking to them and letting them teach me.

I think that India really is the perfect place for me to go at this time. Which is why preparing to enter the community is so crucial. The best I can do right now is to be observant of the world around me and withhold judgment, so that when I enter the community, I can try to do the same. I am nervous!! But oh so excited...

No comments:

Post a Comment