Sunday, March 4, 2012

My India Group. Monday, March 5, 2012

I was thinking about my Field Study on Friday (I seldom DON'T think about India) and as I sat in the prep class, I was talking to one of the guys in my group. We were having a really funny conversation and I started thinking about our group and how we are going to be acting in India.

I am a big people person, and so I am so grateful for the fact that I will NOT be going to India alone. I find myself being fortunate enough to have known everyone in my group from our IAS 220 class last semester. The only one we didn't know, is Steven and he seems to fit right in.

I thought about the lesson we had about how we will have to meet as a group every so often while we are in India, just to check up on each other and discuss our experience there. I think that is so great because I won't feel as alone in a different country and I will be able to share the experiences that I am having with those in my group.

As I thought about this, I recalled some facilitators saying that you have to have patience because living with the same people for three months, guarantees some collisions and we also have a the great chance of driving each other crazy. I am sure that this will happen on more than one occasion, but like I said before, I think we have been fortunate enough to know each other before and Dave taught us some valuable things that will really come into action in the Field. I like everyone in my group, and I like to observe the people I will be going with. I'm not saying we are all going to hold hands and skip off into the sunset, but I did think up of the positive attributes that the individuals in my group have and how that will affect me in the Field. Consequently, I have decided to take the liberty to write them down.

I want to start with the only other girl going, who will essentially be "saving" me, because the rest of the people are boys!

Emma: I love her already. I was always impressed by her in our class because she is really mature and she's VERY intelligent. It will be great having her around because she thinks very critically and "outside the box". She is also very open minded, so it will be nice to talk to her in the field because we will be in a completely different country, and her open mindedness to the differences will be really great.

Nathan: He is always willing to help out. Whenever I have asked for a favor or anything, he is among the first to help me. He is also really serviceable-always offering rides or anything of the sort. It will be great having him around in the Field because of his serviceable attitude. He will be so willing to help when help is needed.

Josh: He is probably one of the most laid back human beings I have ever met. It will be nice to have him around because when I am running around like a headless chicken or having a freak out, Josh will always be there to say "it's all good Laura, everything is going to be ok".

Steven: I have not known him for very long, but he is a really nice person. Something I have noticed about him is that he is very responsible. He gets things done and is pretty reliable. It will be great having him around to remind us of the importance of being responsible and keeping our word.

I know that I have not spend 3 months with these people yet, but I rather focus on the good characteristics and the positive things that I will experience, rather than constantly thinking about the negative and how we are going to "drive each other crazy". I'm not naiive and saying this is not true, but I rather start early before I get to the field, to be an optimist. It will just make me and everyone around me happier.

I can't wait to go to India with all of them though!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree Laura. I think our group meshes so well together and I'm glad you'll be there with me. P.S. I don't think we will fight c:

    ReplyDelete