Monday, March 26, 2012

Time in the NGO. Monday, March 26, 2012

As I was working on my proposal and trying to figure out how I am going to go about my internship, I kept remembering that I will be working at Shanti Ashram.
I am actually really excited that I get to work with them, not only because it is a solid organization, but because it gives my proposal so much more structure. However, the more time I spend thinking about it, the more I remember that I need to also build rapport with the people involved in the NGO, those who are running it and those who are involved with it.

I used to only think about building rapport in the village, but when I decided that I wanted to intern with the NGO, I started thinking of ways to build rapport with them too, especially since I will be spending a lot of time there. Since I want to mainly observe the women who are being empowered through the Women's development program at the Ashram, I will be involved in the activities that they will be doing. At least, I hope to be. I keep thinking about the phrase "learner-owned" and how I have to initiate things as well. By appropriately approaching the leaders of the Women's Development program, I will be able to join the women with whatever they will be doing. While I will be joining them, I will also be talking to them and trying to make friends. I have always enjoyed talking to people and I love meeting new friends, but for some reason, this time around seems a lot more intimidating. However, I know that once I start talking and building those relationships, I will start noticing new things and start to find deeper meaning for what the women are doing and how they perceive things.

I want to always volunteer and see what I can do to help. I will be stepping out of my comfort zone and I will be learning new things every day, but I will also be expanding my knowledge of how these women feel about themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment