Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Annotated Source #11 (Friday, February 17, 2012)

"Notes on Love in a Tamil Family" by: Margaret Trawick

I have loved everything that I have read in this book so far. The author talks about how Tamil women are way more expressive and less submissive than the North Indian women. I was really surprised to read this, but as I did, I thought of Ashley and how she talked about Jeeva's bravery in leading her women's group in Chavadi. I was really intrigued to read about how in our Western culture, we tend to tag names to India and to her people. "caste-dominated", "repressed", "dominated", "past-oriented", among other things. I think that I had that mindset about India as well before I really got immersed in it. I thought that it was great that the author, who spent a lot of time in Tamil Nadu, living among that Tamil people, said that those are just words, and words should not define a culture. I think it is important to keep that in mind, as we are approaching that time to live in India for the entire summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment