Thursday, February 16, 2012

Field Responsibilities. Friday, February 17th, 2012

I didn't think that four people could write dozens of sticky notes' pages worth of personal and collective responsibilities in the field-but it is possible. As I sat there in class on Wednesday, I thought about all of the other things that were going to happen in India. The food, the washing, the chores, Tamil, the interviews, the people... and I realized that I had not been thinking about my own responsibilities in the Field.

After making a list of all of the things I was responsible for, I didn't feel overwhelmed or stressed, I felt empowered and I started thinking about the article "The Ophelia syndrome", and how we all really have the responsibility to be self-learners and self-starters. I have always had a hard time initiating things, but I think that in this context, there will be a need for me to do that. When I live in India, I will be responsible for my attitude, for helping those who might need it, to take care of myself physically and spiritually--all of these things will have to be initiated by me, if I want to make the best of this great opportunity.

When it comes to my field research, I will definitely have to be a self starter. In formulating the interview questions, seeking translators, gaining rapport and trust with the people around me, etc. All of these things will require my will and ability to think for myself and try to make the best decisions according to my best knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment