Sunday, February 19, 2012

Seeking Help Where I need it. Monday, February 20, 2012

I am currently in Arizona visiting my parents. It has been such a great weekend, and I must say, I have never said the word "India", so repeatedly in my life. My parents want to know all about it and everything, and so did everyone in my ward...and frankly, it was fun telling everyone what I wanted to do there, but I couldn't help feeling overwhelmed.
As I thought about my literature review, due this week, I felt really stressed because I thought about my project, and how insignificant I am compared to everyone else that has gone before me and has done bigger and greater things. I started thinking about the different procedures that I would have to go through for the interviews, finding a translator, etc. I felt (and to a certain degree, still feel) inadequate about this whole thing, but if you have the desire, you qualify! (I hope).
As I was explaining this to my parents, my mom turned to me and said "you need to be able to remember that you are not alone in this. There are people around you who can help you, look to resources that are helpful, and think of ways that you can do that in the field. You should not take all of this upon yourself, because this project is ultimately, not ALL about you". I really needed to hear that at that time. I don't think my mom meant for me to not show responsibility and to dump all of my problems on others, but she was more or less teaching the principle of networking and being smart about my resources and options.
As I thought about this and my project, I immediately thought of the Shanti Ashram, the NGO in Coimbatore. I began reading about it and seeing all of the programs that they had, and I saw one titled "Women Development Program". I was so excited to read about the diverse things that they have there for the woman, especially the rural women who may need it most. I began thinking of ways that I could implement my project in with the NGO, and how I can use my time at the NGO to help me develop my ideas about my objective. "Women Self-Perception" is my project as of now, and I feel like participating in the NGO and seeing how I can be of use to them, will only aid me in my efforts to be able to understand the women of Coimbatore, and the village in Chavadi. I began thinking how this is an example of using my "resources" wisely and looking to others with more experience, and using their example as a pattern for developing my project ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment