Thursday, February 2, 2012

Annotated Source #4, 2012

"A Hindu Primer: Dharma" by: Shukavak N. Dasa

In this article,I learned about what Dharma meant in the Hindu religion and to the Indian people as a society. This term was something I was not familiar with before I read this article, but it makes sense why the Indian culture is the way it is-well, the little I know about them.
In Hinduism and Indian, Dharma is a sacred duty that every one is born with. Children are born with the dharma to listen to their obey their parents and do well in school. Parents have the dharma to protect their children, to teach them and feed them. A police officer has a dharma to protect the people and their community. This principle made sense because as humans in our societies, and especially in the LDS church. We have duties within the church and within our families.
Understanding this dharma concept helped me see and understand why parents take it upon themselves to go and find somebody spectacular for their child to marry.
Just as in any society, there are things that break down a society because people don't adhere to their duties. This is called adharma, which the word alone makes sense.
Graffiti in a city, a police officer not upholding his duty, a disobedient child, all are all examples of adharma.
Each individual has a specific dharma depending what stage of life they are found in. For example, a girl may have a specific dharma, but when she is married, she will have a different one as a wife, and then as a mother.

As I thought about this, I thought that it was interesting that each individual had a duty. It makes me think about the women of the village that I will be interviewing. Since I want to focus on different ages, I think about what the different duties that they will have and how they will keep them.

No comments:

Post a Comment